The Woman who taught me to Wrap



Every time my kids go to a birthday party, I think of my grandmother. Lola (that's grandmother in Filipino) Tining (that's a Filipino nickname for Cristina) taught me how to wrap presents when I was about nine years old. In those days there were no ready-made gift boxes or gift bags; you couldn't just stick a present in a box and stuff some colored tissue paper around it because colored tissue paper was too expensive. All we used were sheets of wrapping paper and sticky tape that didn't lift off beautifully the way invisible tape does today.

Lola Tining did a lot of gift wrapping. She has seven kids, and each of them have 2-5 children. She has a lot of cousins and friends. That's a lot of birthday and holiday presents. Every holiday season she'd buy a whole load of fruitcakes to give out, and when we were old enough she set my sister and I, her oldest female grandchildren, to helping her wrap them all.

My grandmother was a perfectionist when it came to wrapping. She taught us how to measure exactly how much wrapping paper we'd need, so we wouldn't waste any paper. She taught us how to cut the paper neatly and efficiently with a ruler or envelope opener (scissors took too much time, and they left a ripped edges). She taught us to fold the ends of the paper inward so the recipient would only see a smooth edge. She taught us how to fold the sides down perfectly so that all the fold lines matched up. She never let us tape the wrapping paper to the object we were wrapping because she didn't want the tape to mar the present. She taught us to put little pleats on the front side so the wrapping would look prettier.

Once we had mastered wrapping a simple square object, she graduated us to wrapping more complicated objects like cylinders and irregularly shaped things. My sister was (and still is) much better at wrapping; her presents were almost as neat as my grandmothers. My grandmother had to be much more patient with my sloppy, impatient style, but eventually I learned (I'll never be able to tie a bow like she does, though).

To Lola Tining, giving someone a nicely wrapped present was a way of showing the recipient that the effort she made didn't stop at buying the present. She wanted the outside to be as pretty and special as what she was giving on the inside. Three decades and thousands of fruitcakes later, I know that she taught me so much more than how to wrap a present; she taught me how to make an extra effort and go the extra mile to make someone special and loved.





Save 15% on Heart of Haiti for Mother's Day
Here's a discount code good for 15% off Heart of Haiti and Rwanda Path to Peace products! Just use the code CLEVERGIRLS between May 3 and May 8.



About Heart of Haiti
The Heart of Haiti project is helping to rebuild Haiti through "Trade, Not Aid." by creating opportunities for Haitian artisans to earn income with dignity by creating jobs and income for the people of Haiti. Through the sale of Heart of Haiti products, artisans are able to earn life-changing income for themselves, their families, and their communities. The initiative is enabling artisans to repair homes, pay school fees, and feed and clothe their families. The income also allows them to have access to better nutrition, improved education and healthcare.

The Heart of Haiti collection is an array of handmade products for the home -- quilts, metalwork, ceramics, and paintings -- created by Haitian artisans. Each item is designed by a Haitian master artisan and produced by hand in Haiti from recycled materials. The collection includes 40 different home decor items and accessories such as vases, candleholders, serving trays, picture frames, mirrors, coasters, necklaces, clutch purses and more. Most items fall in the $25-$60 range and you can find the Heart of Haiti Collection at Macys.com. Check it out!



Disclosure:
I was selected for this very special “CleverHaiti” opportunity by Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity. As a thank-you for posting I will be receiving a Heart of Haiti pendant. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.

2 Comments, Leave yours here:

SkyGirl on May 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM said...

My name is Stephanie and I work for Everywhere. Thank you for sharing the beautiful story about your grandmother. We look forward to reading more of your posts.

SkyGirl on May 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Bongga Posts

Bongga Tweets

I'm Going!

Blog Archive

 

Bonggamom Finds Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada