Simple changes in 2011


January is almost over, and I'll bet a lot of people have started slipping up on their New Years Resolutions! I'm proud to say that I'm not one of them, because this year I really tried to come up with some goals that are simple, measurable and maintanable. They're not revolutionary changes, but hey, sometimes the simplest of changes can make the biggest impact. Here are some of the simple changes I would like to make in my life this year, and how I've planned to make sure the changes actually stick:

1) Walk more.
The physical benefits to walking more are obvious, but did you know that studies have shown that walking for 45 minutes a day, 3 times a week, can help improve brain function? A recent Newsweek article about Building a Better Brain claims that studies from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have found that simple aerobic exercise improves episodic memory and executive-control functions by about 20 percent. Inspired by this little tidbit, I've resolved to walk the kids to school more often. We already walk to school every day, but when I pick them up in the afternoons, I delay until the last minute so I'm forced to drive to school. This year I've set a goal of walking to pick the kids up from school at least twice a week. It's a small, attainable goal and one that I haven't broken yet.

2) Run more.
I've been way too sedentary, so I've resolved to get back into running this year. To help me stay movitated, I've signed up for a couple of races in March and May, and I intend to sign up for more before the year is done. I figure one race every two months or so will keep me training without getting so sick of the whole thing that I stop running in between races and train like mad the week before the race.


3) Get back into dancing.
Another way I've decided to improve my fitness level is to put dancing back into my life. When I was in my teens and 20's, I attended a jazz dance class five days a week. It's not a coincidence that I could eat anything I wanted, and I was in the best shape of my life. Unfortunately I don't have the time to dance five days per week, and at my age, even if I did I would still not be able to eat anything I want, but putting some dance back into my life will certainly go a long way towards improving my cardio fitness level as well as my flexibility. I've signed up for a Zumba class, just once a week, but already I'm enjoying myself thoroughly and look forward to the classes!




How about you? Are you making any changes in your life? Remember, even simple changes can make a big impact!

Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Simply Orange® blogging program. If I am one of the first 65 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 Target gift card and a gift pack that includes a Simply Orange® cooler bag and logoed fleece. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.

1 Comments, Leave yours here:

vered on January 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM said...

My resolution is to work less. I worked way too hard and too much in 2010. Hoping to scale back a little in 2011.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Bongga Posts

Bongga Tweets

I'm Going!

Blog Archive

 

Bonggamom Finds Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada