It's that time of year again.... time to Change Your Clocks, and Change Your Battery on your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. On November 4 everyone has to "fall back" and move the clocks back one hour -- and it's the perfect time to make sure all your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
For the 25th straight year, Energizer is working with the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and local fire departments to remind households to get in the habit of putting fresh batteries into smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors every year, so they don't fail on you when you really need them. Apparently, thirty-eight percent of fatal fire injuries occur in homes with no smoke alarms, while 24 percent occur in homes in which at least one smoke alarm is present but fails to operate, frequently due to dead or missing batteries. If you pick a memorable day each year to do them, you're less likely to forget. Who wants to change batteries on birthdays, anniversaries or holidays? Doing it on the same day you set your clocks back is far more practical -- just go around the house, setting back clocks and changing batteries in each room!
This is the third straight year I've worked with Energizer to remind people to change their batteries, and I want to do this every year because it's such an easy way to remember! Before I heard about this program, we would change our batteries only after the low-alarm beep warnings would drive us mad. Even worse, various detectors would fail at different times of the year, so we started getting complacent (oh, look, the alarm is beeping again -- it's just the low battery warning, probably not a fire). Now we swap in fresh batteries every year at the same time each year, so that doesn't happen.
Win a Family Safety Kit on the Energizer Facebook Page
From October 11 through November 4, visit the Energizer Bunny® Facebook page and click on the Fire Safety Info Tab. Here you will have the chance to enter a sweepstakes to win a Family Safety Kit. Energizer will be giving away one Family Safety Kit per day for 25 days. Contained in the kit, valued at more than $150 is:
· One reusable grocery tote
· Two Kidde Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarms
· One package of Energizer Advanced Lithium batteries
· One package of Energizer® MAX® Batteries (AA) with Power Seal Technology - Dependable, powerful performance for the devices that help keep your family safe; now hold their charge when stored for up to 10 years
· Two Energizer flashlights
· Two Energizer Flameless Wax Candles
· One Energizer Bunny Plush Bunny
Win a Family Safety Kit on Bonggamom Finds
Energizer will send one lucky Bonggamom Finds reader a Family Safety Kit (ARV: $78) complete with a reusable grocery tote containing:
· One 2-pack of Energizer® MAX® Batteries (9v) with Power Seal Technology – Dependable, powerful performance for the devices that help keep your family safe; now hold their charge when stored for up to 5 years
· One Energizer® Flameless Wax Candle – Enjoy the realistic flicker of a scented wax candle without the worry of open flame or hassle of soot and dripping wax
· One Energizer® Weatheready® Safety Light – Waterproof flashlight powered by AA, AAA or C cell batteries; includes safety whistle and imprinted preparedness checklist
· One Kidde Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm
Leave a comment on this post telling me that you have already changed the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors this year, or telling me when you plan to change your batteries. This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
2) Follow bonggamom on Instagram (1 entry)
3) Follow bonggamom on Pinterest (1 entry)
4) Pin this giveaway on your Pinterest board (1 entry -- you can use the "Pin It" button at the bottom of this page!).
5) "Like Bonggamom Finds" on Facebook and write this on my wall (1 entry):
6) Share the link to this giveaway (http://bit.ly/Wo5LHm) on your Facebook wall, with a reminder to your friends to change their smoke alarm batteries when they change their clocks, then leave a comment here telling me you did (1 entry).
7) Tweet this (1 entry):
@bonggafinds and the @energizerbunny are reminding everyone to Change Your Clock Change Your Battery on November 4! http://bit.ly/Wo5LHm
8) Tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
RT @bonggafinds: Enter to win an @Energizer Family Safety Kit! Giveaway ends November 4 at http://bit.ly/Wo5LHm
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on November 4, 2011; I will draw a winner at random on November 5 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. US addresses only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: Thanks to Energizer tor providing a prize pack for the giveaway and a second pack for me. Program information is provided by Energizer and is indicated in italics. Products in prize pack may or may not correspond to the products in the photos above. Energizer reserves the right to substitute products in the final prize pack. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.