The winter break is fast approaching, and with all those days off from school, kids' brains have a tendency to go on vacation as well. Fortunately there are lots of fun activities you can do with your children to keep their minds active. One of my favorite kids' shows, Super WHY, sent me some tips from their experts about making the most of the season and keep them on track toward becoming "Super Readers". Super WHY was a huge help in getting 3Po and Jammy on the path to reading last summer, so I know firsthand that they really know their stuff! Here are their tips:
* Have your child decipher the special message inside your Christmas cards and read the names of family and friends out loud to you as you address the envelopes. Your “super readers” will enjoy reading the notes inside the holiday greetings that arrive in your own mailbox, too!
* Bring your kids along for some Christmas shopping and let them sound out the signs in the store (i.e. “toys,” “home & garden,” “bedding,” etc.).
* Help your children compose their “wish list” for Santa – and work together to write one for yourself, too!
* Get a cozy fire going or make some hot cocoa and warm up with your child while reading a Christmas classic storybook.
Even though 3Po and Jammy have made it through that first big reading hurdle -- sounding out letters to read words -- these tips are great for kids at their level as well. Your kids can also spend part of the winter break catching up on some Super WHY episodes on PBS, or on DVD. Their new DVD, "‘Twas the Night Before Christmas and Other Fairytale Adventures" is the perfect way to get young Super Readers in the holiday spirit, while keeping their literacy skills strong. Here's more information about the DVD:
The Super Readers are on a special mission to find out why Santa Claus visits children on Christmas. To find the answer to their question, the Super Readers fly into the classic story "'Twas the Night Before Christmas". While in the story, the Super Readers meet Santa and discover that he visits all the children because it makes both him and them happy.
Featuring four Super WHY episodes, “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” “The Ghost Who was Afraid of Halloween,” “The Three Feathers” and “The Stars in the Sky,” the engaging and adorable DVD offers even more literacy-focused fun with special features, including interactive games, music videos, printable activities, coloring pages and resources for parents!
Take 20% off a personalized Super WHY sweatshirt from Ty's Toy Box
To keep the “Hip! Hip! Hooray!” holiday cheer going strong this season, Super WHY and the folks at Ty’s Toy Box are offering a special coupon code just for you and your readers!! Just visit http://superwhy.tystoybox.com/ and input the coupon code “POWER” anytime from 12/6 to 12/13 to receive 20% off on the purchase of one personalized Super WHY sweatshirt!
Win a Super WHY DVD for Christmas!
One lucky Bonggamom Finds winner will receive a copy of the new Super WHY holiday DVD, "‘Twas the Night Before Christmas and Other Fairytale Adventures".
Leave a comment on this post and share a tip to keep preschoolers' minds engaged during the winter break. This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Grab my blog button and post it up on your blog (1 entry).
2) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
3) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook page (1 entry):
I entered the Super WHY Christmas DVD giveaway! http://tinyurl.com/27ocjoj
4) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
5) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
6) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
Win a Super WHY Christmas DVD from @bonggafinds http://tinyurl.com/27ocjoj #giveaways
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on December 20, 2010; I will draw a winner at random on December 21 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I did not receive a sample or monetary compensation for this post. Product information is provided by the featured company and is clearly indicated as such. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.