Tuesday, June 01, 2010
What are you doing to celebrate Independence Day?
Yes, you heard me right, and no, I'm not planning too far in advance. I'm talking about Philippine Independence Day, or Araw ng Kalayaan. Everybody in the USA knows the 4th of July as Independence Day -- but we Filipinos have our own Independence Day, and we celebrate it on June 12. Here's a little background from Wikipedia:
In the Philippines, Independence Day (Filipino: Araw ng Kalayaan) is an annual national holiday observed on June 12, commemorating the Philippine Declaration of Independence from Spain on June 12, 1898. It is the National Day of the Philippines.
The 1898 Declaration of Independence, however, was not recognized by the United States or Spain. The Spanish government later ceded the Philippines to the United States in the 1898 Treaty of Paris, and the United States granted independence to the Philippines on July 4, 1946 in the Treaty of Manila. July 4 was observed in the Philippines as Independence Day until August 4, 1964 when, upon the advice of historians and the urging of nationalists, President Diosdado Macapagal signed into law Republic Act No. 4166 designating June 12 as the country's Independence Day. June 12 had previously been observed as Flag Day.
Here's how we're celebrating:
1) Eating pansit and adobo, two quintessentially Filipino dishes that I can actually make! Pansit is a noodle dish that's almost identical to chicken or vegetable chow mein, and adobo is a chicken dish stewed in vinegar, soy sauce, black peppers and a bay leaf. It's stinky enough to make your nose curdle and it's absolutely delicious. Don't ask a Filipino -- we're biased -- ask a foreigner like Alfie and he'll tell you!
2) Going to San Francisco's Civic Center for Fiesta Filipina USA, the Bay Area's (and probably California's) biggest outdoor Filipino Independence Day celebration. There will be music, dance, arts and crafts booths, and lots of yummy Filipino food!
3) Wearing our pride on our sleeve. We don't have a huge Filipino flag to fly, but we have a small flag that we'll wave with pride. And my dad will be wearing the Cafe Press tshirt I gave him! It was a gift from Cafe Press: they invited me to choose a Filipino-themed shirt, and I was blown away with the number of designs they have available! Then again, I don't know why I should be surprised; after featuring several of their products on Bonggamom Finds, I know it's the perfect place to find personalized gifts like shirts, bags, water bottles and more.
Win a Cafe Press tshirt
To celebrate Philippine Independence Day, Cafe Press is generously sponsoring a tshirt giveaway! One lucky Bonggamom Finds winner will receive a Cafe Press tshirt themed in the country flag or nationality of their choice. Wear your national colors with pride on a Cafe Press tshirt!
If you're Filipino, this is the perfect way to celebrate Araw ng Kalayaan with me!
If you're American, you could win a patriotic shirt just in time for July 4!
And don't forget, the World Cup 2010 is coming up -- you could win a shirt in your country's colors and cheer your team on!
Leave a comment on this post with the country you are proud to be a citizen of, AND a link to the shirt that you want to receive. (This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify)
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Follow Cafe Press on Twitter (1 entry).
2) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
3) Become a fan of Bonggamom Finds on Facebook (1 entry).
4) Become a fan of Cafe Press on Facebook (1 entry).
4) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
5) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
6) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
Celebrate Filipino Independence Day with @bonggamom -- enter to win a @cafepress tshirt! http://ow.ly/1SLRN #giveaway
7) Write this on the Cafe Press Facebook Page wall (1 entry):
I entered to win a Cafe Press tshirt on Bonggamom Finds! Anyone can enter at http://ow.ly/1SLRN
This giveaway ends at midnight PST on Filipino Independence Day, June 12, 2010; I will draw a winner at random on June 13 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received a product sample, but was not paid to review the product or give my opinions. Unless clearly stated, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.