* Host a house party for friends and family and ask your guests to contribute to a share of a group gift such as a farm animal, winter clothing or school supplies to families in need, or even a water well. Make the selection of the item, how to raise funds for that gift, and the collection of the money a collaborative, group effort.
* After Black Friday and Cyber Monday holiday shopping, consider celebrating Giving Tuesday (12/3) and make meaningful, life-changing gift purchases such as medicine, mosquito nets or a fish pond.
* Be active in your giving -- volunteer at your local homeless shelter or senior living center; cook a meal or bake cookies for an elderly family member or neighbor.
* Organize a family giving night and have kids select charitable gifts from an organization such as the World Vision Gift Catalog. Talk with your children about how giving back changes lives of children and families living in poverty and that their efforts truly make a difference.
You can even incorporate the true spirit of giving into your own gift giving, with the World Vision Catalog. When you shop for presents from the World Vision Gift Catalog, you're not only giving a present to friends and family, you're helping out families from all over the world.
I love the idea of leafing through the World Vision Gift Catalog with my kids. The catalog has over 250 items that help fight poverty all over the US and the world. It has stories of hardworking families from all over the world (including the US!) whose lives could benefit from your gift. With a financial contribution, you can even select one of the 30+ Handcrafted Gifts that can be shared with a loved one and at the same time help a person in need. World Vision Gift Catalog sent me the Colors of Africa jewelry set to check out:
This gorgeous Zakale jewelry set is handmade from recycled materials by Kenyan artisans reclaiming their own lives from poverty. What a beautiful way to make a difference AND treat yourself or a loved one to a holiday present!
Win a Colors of Africa Bracelet & Earring Set
One lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will receive a gorgeous Colors of Africa Bracelet & Earring Set
Leave a comment on this post and tell me how you and your family like to spread the true spirit of the holidays, or how you teach your children about the true meaning of the holidays.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Follow bonggamom on Blogger (1 entry)
2) Follow bonggamom on Instagram (1 entry)
3) Follow bonggamom on Pinterest (1 entry)
4) Pin this giveaway on any of your Pinterest boards (1 entry -- you can use the "Pin It" button at the bottom of this page!).
5) "Like" Bonggamom Finds on Facebook and write this on my wall (1 entry):
I entered the World Vision Gift Catalog giveaway! http://ow.ly/qgwra
6) Tweet this (1 entry per day)
RT @bonggafinds Win a Colors of Africa bracelet/earring set from World Vision Gift Catalog! Enter by 11/16 at http://ow.ly/qgwra
7) Join any open giveaway on Bonggamom Finds (1 entry per giveaway you've joined)
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on November 16, 2013; I will draw a winner at random on November 17 and post their name after they confirm acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here.
Disclosure: I received a product sample to facilitate my review, but have not been paid to review the product or give my opinions. Product information (in italics) is provided by World Vision. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.