Room on the Broom is one of the sweetest, cutest kids books I've seen in quite a while. I love the idea of a smiling witch who does nice things for people (and cats, birds, frogs and dogs!), and I think it's a great way to introduce Halloween characters to very young children in a non-scary way.
Families who can't get enough of the witch, her friends and the dragon will be delighted to know that there's a new Room on the Broom app flying into mobile devices, just in time for Halloween. The app has all of the Room on the Broom characters, interacting with kids in some fun observation and memory games. I spent some time playing with the app, and it has more than enough activities to delight preschoolers, and more than enough whimsy to delight their parents. I love how the illustrations in the app look like they flew straight out of the book!
About the app
There’s room on the broom for everyone in this high quality game app for 3–7-year-olds, featuring beautiful design based on Alex Scheffler’s original illustrations. Offering children a safe, entertaining and interactive experience they can enjoy time and time again, Room on the Broom Games provides eight imaginative activities that players can interact and explore within, while practicing early learning skills such as counting, creativity and literacy. Collectively, the games explore the world of Room on the Broom, complementing the experience of reading the book and watching the film. Key characters are featured and players get to help them fly, eat and explore their world. Designed to ensure players and parents feel comfortable and safe in the digital space, there are no in-app purchases.
The new Room on the Broom Games interactive app is available through the iTunes store for iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone and iPod Touch; and on GooglePlay and Amazon for Android devices, priced at $4.99.
Here are some of the games kids can play on the Room on the Broom app:
· Fly the magnificent broom – Whoosh! Join the gang on the magnificent broom and fly through the starry night sky. Take control and steer the broom to collect letters, which spell out a word!
· Dragon loves fries – The Dragon is hungry and is planning to have fries for his dinner! Feed the dragon fries and avoid the other falling objects from the sky!
· Windy day collecting game – It’s a windy day and Cat needs help collecting a few things, will you help? Be careful not to miss them!
· Drawing with stars – Light up your imagination by creating pictures in the night sky. Place the numbered stars where you wish and watch the witch transform it into a dot-to-dot picture.
· Join the stars – Fly through the air and connect all the sparkly stars to find the right image!
· Find the hat – The Witch has lost her hat! Is it behind the tree? Help Dog find the hat in the woods.
· Find the bow – The Witch has lost her bow! Is it in the hay? Help Bird find the bow in the field.
· Find the wand – The Witch has lost her wand! Is it under the lily pad? Help Frog find the wand in the pond.
Win a Room on the Broom Prize Pack
One lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will win a Room on the Broom Prize Pack that includes:
- A copy of the board book from Penguin Group (SRP: $6.99)
- The new Witch plush from Kids Preferred (SRP: $12.95).
Leave a comment on this post telling me your child's favorite Halloween character.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Follow bonggamom on Blogger (1 entry)
2) Follow bonggamom on Instagram (1 entry)
3) Follow bonggamom on Pinterest (1 entry)
4) Pin this giveaway on any of your Pinterest boards(1 entry -- you can use the "Pin It" button at the bottom of this page!).
5) "Like Bonggamom Finds" on Facebook and write this on my wall (1 entry):
I entered the Room on the Broom witch plush giveaway! http://ow.ly/pHWBE
6) Tweet this (1 entry per day)
RT @bonggafinds Win a Room on the Broom book and witch plush! Enter by 10/26 at http://ow.ly/pHWBE
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on October 26 2013; I will draw a winner at random on October 27 and post their name after they confirm acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here.
Disclosure: Thanks to Three.Sixty Marketing & Communications for providing the giveaway prize pack as well as a second prize pack for me. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.