Waxelene: a sweet alternative to Petroleum Jelly



What's in a name?  A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and certainly the fact that petroleum jelly has the word "petroleum" in its name doesn't keep me from using it.  My mom taught me to use petroleum jelly for everything from mosquito bites to rashes to burns to blisters to scars.  We always keep a big jar at home, not just for medicinal purposes but for our skin and beauty regimens.  My 9 year-old son has suffered from eczema all of his life, and on cold, dry winter nights he has to apply petroleum jelly all over his legs to moisturize his skin and soothe the eczema rash.   My 12 year-old daughter even uses it as a base for homemade lip balms and hand creams (she made some for all of her friends as holiday presents!).  But still, when you stop to think about it, using a petroleum-based products does sound kind of..... ick.

So when I heard of an alternative to petroleum jelly, I was curious.  Can any product replace my mom's cure-all, be-all and end-all of creams?  If it's Waxelene petroleum jelly substitute, it might.  I recently received a sample of Waxelene and I'm in love.

About Waxelene
Waxelene is the eco-friendly alternative to petroleum jelly. It has the same protective, waterproofing, moisturizing and soothing properties that doctors love, but contains no petroleum or hydrogenated oils. Waxelene’s ingredients include natural beeswax and oils like vitamin E and organic rosemary which soak in and nurture skin cells. Waxelene’s patent-pending aeration process gives it a silky smooth texture that won’t clog pores. Committed to the environment and healthy living, the makers of Waxelene endeavor to become more sustainable every day. From using natural and organic ingredients, to packaging in recyclable glass jars (no plastic!), to implementing energy-efficient practices, Waxelene is striving to do its part to prepare for a petroleum-free future.



Waxelene comes packaged beautifully, in a thick glass jar, like the high-end product it is.  The ingredients list is short and sweet: organic soy oil, beeswax, natural vitamin E oil, organic rosemary oil, so you know you're not putting any nasty chemicals on your skin.



Waxelene has all the moisturizing abilities of petroleum jelly, but the texture is not as thick or sticky as petroleum jelly.  It glides on nicely, but don't forget that just a little goes a long way -- if you slather it on too thick, you'll be dealing with slick, greasy skin for quite a while.


The best thing about Waxelene?  IT SMELLS SO GOOD.  I hardly ever type in all caps but did I mention IT SMELLS SO GOOD?  The natural beeswax makes Waxelene smell just like honey, and every time I open this jar my mouth waters.  That wonderful sweet honey smell, combined with the rich, thick texture, makes me feel like I should be comparing Waxelene with a decadent body butter instead of plain old petroleum jelly.

Unfortunately, Waxelene is substantially more expensive than petroleum jelly (it costs about$6.99 for 2 oz. and $15.99 for 9 oz.) , so I won't be throwing out our $3 13-oz. tub anytime soon -- but Waxelene is definitely taking over many of the tasks previously reserved for petroleum jelly, like moisturing mama's elbows and hands and feet :)  Welcome to my household, Waxelene, you're here to stay!

Where to buy Waxelene: CVS, Whole Foods, Bed Bath & Beyond and other retail locations.  

Disclosure: I received a product sample to facilitate my review, but have not been paid to review the product or give my opinions. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.

Pin It



0 Comments, Leave yours here:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Bongga Posts

Bongga Tweets

I'm Going!

Blog Archive

 

Bonggamom Finds Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada