Friday, April 29, 2011
Breast cancer is a horrible disease, and despite all the progress that has been made, far too many people are still suffering and dying from it. I'm certain that raising awareness can help lower the statistics (through early detection, prevention, etc..), and I remain hopeful that finding a cure is just a matter of time, funding and awareness -- so I'm trying to do my part. Last October I walked 60 miles for breast cancer. I wore pink every day of the month (and blogged about it) to help raise awareness for breast cancer research. I wrote posts showcasing companies and brands like food, toys and clothing that donate part of their proceeds to breast cancer research, in the hopes that more people will know about them and buy their products, thereby helping the cause even more.
If only I had known about Save 2nd Base! They contacted me a couple of months ago and I'm only to happy to spread the word about such a great company. Save 2nd Base sells shirts, caps and other apparel that help spread the word about Breast Cancer awareness.
What makes them special is their witty slogan -- a play on the old baseball euphemism -- and their "Pink with a Wink" attitude. The company was founded to honor Kelly Rooney, a woman who succumbed to the disease in 2006 but never let it take away her sense of humor. Proceeds from the sale of these items benefit the Kelly Rooney Foundation.
Save 2nd Base’s goal is to provide exposure for the mission of The Kelly Rooney Foundation. Each shirt has the potential to “spread the word” about a beautiful person and the mark she left on the world. Our shirts have been sold in all 50 US states, distributed to our troops overseas, and sit in a boutique in Australia. Save 2nd Base shirts are a vehicle to put Kelly’s favorite phrase in motion…”PAY IT FORWARD!” Save 2nd Base has donated more than $30,000 to KRF and other Breast Cancer non-profits.
Save 2nd Base sent me some of their signature logo shirts, and I proudly wear mine for the following reasons:
* I love the hot pink color.
* Being flat-chested myself, those two baseballs make it look like there's actually something underneath them!
* People smile when they see the shirt; some people ask what it's about, which gives me the opportunity to tell them about Save 2nd Base and the cause they support.
* I wear it for my grandmother, my aunt, my great-aunt, my best friend in elementary school, and all the other women I know who have had breast cancer.
* The next time I participate in a breast cancer awareness fundraiser like the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure or some other event, I have something to wear.
Why would you wear a Save 2nd Base shirt? Your answer could win you a shirt of your own! I have a couple of extra shirts to give away.......
Win a Save 2nd Base shirt
Two lucky Bonggamom Finds readers will each receive a Kelly fitted tee from Save 2nd Base (both size XL, see sizing chart for measurements).
Visit the Save 2nd Base store, then come back here and leave a comment on this post telling me which of their shirts you would proudly wear, and why. This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
2) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
3) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
4) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook page (1 entry):
I entered the Save 2nd Base giveaway! http://tinyurl.com/bonggaprizes
5) Write this on the Save 2nd Base Facebook page, filling in the blank with your answer (1 entry):
I would proudly wear a Save 2nd Base tshirt because ________________________. Share your own answer on Bonggamom Finds for a chance to win a Save 2nd Base tshirt of your own! http://tinyurl.com/bonggaprizes
6) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
I entered to win a Save 2nd Base breast cancer awareness tshirt on @bonggafinds http://tinyurl.com/bonggaprizes #giveaways
7) Join any of the open giveaways on Bonggamom Finds (1 entry for every giveaway you've joined).
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on May 18, 2011; I will draw a winner at random on May 19 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received a product sample to facilitate my review, but have not been paid to review the product or give my opinions. Product information is provided by the featured company/product and is indicated in italics. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.