Sunday, November 21, 2010
We don't own any pets, so my kids have to turn to stuffed animals and virtual animals to unleash their maternal instincts. One animal game my kids love is Ubisoft's Petz Nursery, which we reviewed last year. In Petz Nursery, kids get to feed, clean and play with the cutest newborn animals ever. They use the stylus to stir milk in a saucepan or tip a bottle of milk into a hungry baby puppy's mouth, or roll a ball to a teeny tiny kitten. The more you play with your baby animal, the bigger he grows, and as players progress they can unlock more exotic animals like baby pandas or tigers.
I guess lots of other kids must love Petz Nursery as much as my kids do, because Ubisoft has just released a new version of the game: Petz Nursery 2. As a Clever Girls Collective reviewer and Ubisoft Champ, I was recently given a copy of the game to review, and my kids took to it like baby ducks to water. Just like the original version, kids get to take care of some really cute newborn animals of every size and shape (up to 22 kinds, including unusual pets like wolf cubs, piglets, and 4 different kinds of penguins). Like the original game, Petz Nursery 2 can be enjoyed by kids who don't know how to read, thanks to clear and simple visual cues like arrows and pictures. But there are a few key differences, notably the ability to take care of more than 1 pet at the same time, greater variety of animals, all-new games and the ability to keep your pet forever (in the original version, once your pet grows up, he moves on).
For this review, I've decided to feature one of the real reviewers behind Bonggamom Finds -- my son, Jammy -- to talk about Petz Nursery 2 and what he likes about it. I asked him a couple of questions and wrote down his answers below (some of it needs a bit of explanation, so the words in italics are mine, not Jammy's). Without further ado, here's the opinion of someone far more qualified to talk about the game than I!
How is Petz Nursery 2 different from the original Petz Nursery?
* Petz Nursery 2 is not focused on just 1 pet (you can take care of 2 pets at the same time).
* You can switch rooms in Petz Nursery 2.
* They have different games in Petz Nursery 2.
* It's easier to take care of your pet (The example Jammy gave had to do with preparing your pet's food; in Petz Nursery, you use the DS stylus to stir your pet's milk for a specified amount of time, while in Petz Nursery, you just need to mash up the food. Apparently mashing is easier than stirring. I'm not going to argue with a 6-year old; it's his motor skills, not mine).
What do you like best about Petz Nursery 2?
* They have way bigger bowls in Nursery 2 (Again, I have no idea why this is a great thing, but that's his opinion and he's sticking to it, and if you also happen to have a 6-year old, I'm assuming he'll probably understand).
* I like being asked to sweep the floor when my pet is eating and crumbs fall out of his bowl.
* I like playing the game where you have to keep balloons up in the air by blowing on the DS screen.
* I like rocking my pet when he's sleepy and choosing a lullaby to sing him to sleep.
Is there anything you don't like about Petz Nursery 2?
Sometimes I want my pet to eat a food that will make him do better at one kind of game, but the food also makes my pet do worse at another kind of game, and I hate having to choose.
Which version do you like better, and why?
I like Petz Nursery 2 better, because of all the reasons I gave you, and because you get to give your pet crawling and walking lessons, and because all the games are fun!
Here's more information about Petz Nursery 2
In Ubisoft’s Petz® Nursery 2, the sequel to the popular Petz Nursery videogame, players can care for a variety of all-new baby animals ranging from puppies to penguins. For the first time, players can take care of two animals at the same time, watch them play together, and even react to one another!
Learn how to care for adorable baby animals — Players can take care of up to 20 baby petz and help them grow. As newborns, the baby petz will need to be picked up and played with, and eventually taught to crawl. As they grow, players will teach them to walk, or play musical and matching games to make them smarter! When night comes, help them fall asleep by rocking them or singing them a lullaby.
Unlock all-new exotic baby animals — With an even greater variety than the original Petz Nursery, there will be 22 baby petz to unlock, such as puppies, kittens, baby pandas, tigers, polar bears, piglets, penguins and more!
Care for multiple babies at the same time — These playful and clumsy babies love to play together. Play activities with two babies or just one; but make sure you give both babies attention or one will develop faster than the other. Watch a baby penguin play with a tiger cub and see how well they get along.
Go on an online adventure with your Petz! — In 2011, players will be able to send their grown baby petz to the Petz virtual world, Petz World, and unlock exclusive exotic animals. On Petz World, players will travel the world with their petz, go on exciting missions to save animals, and even learn about landmarks and foreign countries.
Petz Nursery 2 retails for about $29.99; you can find it in stores like Target or Toys R Us, or on online sites like Amazon.
Win a Petz Nursery 2 game for Nintendo DS
One lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will receive a Petz Nursery 2 game for the Nintendo DS, courtesy of Ubisoft and the Clever Girls Collective.
Leave a comment on this post and tell me which of the Ubisoft Petz line of games (other than Petz Nursery 2 of course!) your child would love to receive for the holidays.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment on this post for each extra entry, with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, blog comment link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Grab my blog button and post it up on your blog (1 entry).
2) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
3) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook wall (1 entry):
I entered the Ubisoft Petz Nursery 2 giveaway! http://tinyurl.com/2du9tuc
4) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
5) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
6) Follow UbiParents on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
Enter to win a Petz Nursery 2 DS game from @ubisoft @ubiparents and @bonggafinds http://tinyurl.com/2du9tuc #giveaway #ubichamps
7) Join my Style Lab Fashion Design giveaway (1 entry).
This giveaway ends at midnight PST on November 30, 2010; I will draw a winner at random on December 1. I will post the winner's name in the comments section after he/she confirms acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: This is a compensated review. I also received a sample game to help form an honest opinion of the product. While Ubisoft sponsored this review, the opinions I've expressed here are solely my own and represent my honest viewpoint. Ubisoft, Clever Girls Collective and I promote Blog With Integrity.