Monday, November 22, 2010
Norah Jones is an amazing singer. You don't have to take my word for it; 40 million albums and 9 Grammy awards says she's amazing. I love her smoky, sexy voice and jazzy, soulful tunes. We own three of her albums: Come Away With Me, Feels Like Home, and Not Too Late, and there isn't really a bad song in any of them. So when the One2One Network invited me to review her latest album, ...Featuring Norah Jones, I jumped at the chance.
...Featuring Norah Jones is a collection of songs that Norah Jones has done with other musical artists in the past 10 years.
Here's a brief description of the album:
...Featuring Norah Jones is a star-studded collection of the multi-platinum selling, multi-Grammy Award winning singer’s musical collaborations from the past decade.
The 18 songs on the album include cool cameos, collaborations and duets with such legends as Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, and Dolly Parton, and with 21st Century icons from OutKast to the Foo Fighters. The album spans Norah’s entire career and reveal her astonishing musical versatility, from jazz to country, hip-hop to rock.
And here's the Track Listing:
1. Love Me – The Little Willies
2. Virginia Moon – The Foo Fighters featuring Norah Jones
3. Turn Them – Sean Bones featuring Norah Jones
4. Baby It's Cold Outside – Willie Nelson featuring Norah Jones
5. Bull Rider – Norah Jones and Sasha Dobson
6. Ruler Of My Heart – Dirty Dozen Brass Band featuring Norah Jones
7. The Best Part – El Madmo
8. Take Off Your Cool – OutKast featuring Norah Jones
9. Life Is Better – Q-Tip featuring Norah Jones
10. Soon The New Day – Talib Kweli featuring Norah Jones
11. Little Lou, Prophet Jack, Ugly John – Belle & Sebastian featuring Norah Jones
12. Here We Go Again – Ray Charles featuring Norah Jones
13. Loretta – Norah Jones featuring Gillian Welch and David Rawlings
14. Dear John – Ryan Adams featuring Norah Jones
15. Creepin' In – Norah Jones featuring Dolly Parton
16. Court & Spark – Herbie Hancock featuring Norah Jones
17. More Than This – Charlie Hunter featuring Norah Jones
18. Blue Bayou – Norah Jones featuring M. Ward
I think this album is great! I think I'd have bought it even if the One2One Network hadn't given me a review copy, which is probably the highest praise I can give. I love the idea of putting all of Norah's collaborations into one album! The fact that so many musicians want to work with her is a testament to Norah Jones' range of talent, and that's reflected in each and every song. The great thing about this album is that most of these songs are on the other artist's albums (other than Creepin' In, which is on Norah's "Feels Like Home" album, and coincidentally, is Alfie's favorite song on this album). You'd have to purchase each song separately on iTunes or purchase 17 other artists' albums in order to build up the collection yourself.
It's quite an eclectic mix, to be sure, and some people might wonder why they've bought an album filled with styles as diverse as hip-hop, jazz and country -- and I have to admit, there are a couple of songs in the album that are just not my style. But somehow Norah's distinctive voice ties everything together.
The Bottom Line
Norah Jones is a musician who shines in a variety of styles and appeals to so many people. This album is proof that she's truly an all-around artist. ...Featuring Norah Jones is a must for any Norah Jones fan!
Disclosure: I received a sample album courtesy of the One2One Network, but was not paid to review the product or give my opinions. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.