Thursday, May 06, 2010
Move over, Matchbox! Take a hike, Hotwheels! There's a new kid in town: Light-Up Marble Racers. We received a set of 6 cars from MomSelect to try out, and when they arrived, my kids (yes, even The Pea) were so excited. Here's what we thought of them:
Light-Up Racers from Skulduggery are small plastic cars with an LED marble embedded in their center. The marble lights up when you shake the car hard. They are the same size as Hot Wheels racers and can run on Hot Wheels tracks. They come in 6 different designs, and each pack contains a racer and racing decals . They are available for sale at CVS.
These cars are a lot of fun! It's surprising how much my kids enjoy playing with them. I guess the flashing lights make them more interesting and help spark their imaginations (they pretend the cars have laser lights, or are exploding, etc...). I like the fact that they are the same size as Hot Wheels are can run on their tracks. I also like the fact that each car comes with stickers that kids can use to decorate their cars. It makes it appealing to girls as well as boys (they actually have 2 "girly" designs"). The stickers also give it an extra crafty dimension and allows kids to express their individuality.
When I first saw how these racers worked, I assumed that all you had to do to get the cars to light up was to get them rolling. I was wrong. The light-up mechanism doesn't always work -- which can be frustrating to kids. You need to bang them down hard on a surface to start them lighting up -- which can make fussy parents nervous when they see these cars coming down hard on their glass coffee tables or antique dining tables. Also, at $7.99 each, they're a lot more expensive than regular $1.50 Hot Wheels cars. Time will tell whether they are as sturdy as Hot Wheels, but for now they're providing my kids with lots of opportunities for pretend play.
The Bottom Line
Light-Up Marble Racers are fun little toys that spark kids' imagination and creativity!
Win a set of Light-Up Marble Racers
One lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will win a set of 6 assorted Light-Up Marble Racers! To enter, leave a comment on this post and tell me who you would give this set to if you won. It's alright to say you want to play with it yourself :)
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following, (you can only do each extra entry once; please leave a separate comment for each extra entry):
1) Grab my blog button and post it up on your blog (leave a comment with your blog URL).
2) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates by email (leave a comment with your email address).
3) Become a fan of Bonggamom Finds on Facebook (leave a comment with your FB id).
4) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (leave a comment with your FB id).
5) Fave Bonggamom Finds on Technorati (leave a comment with your Technorati id).
6) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(leave a comment with your Blogger profile name).
7) Leave a comment on any of my blog posts on Finding Bonggamom (leave a comment here with the link to the post that you commented on).
8) Join any of the other giveaways currently running on Bonggamom Finds (leave a comment here with the name of the other giveaway you joined).
9) Tweet this (leave a comment with a link to your tweet):
Win a set of Light-Up Marble Racers from @bonggafinds http://ow.ly/1IUgz #giveaway #contest pls RT
Maximum of 10 entries per person. This giveaway ends at midnight PST on May 26, 2010; I will draw a winner at random on May 27 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received a set of 6 racers from MomSelect as well as a second set to give away, but was not paid to review the product or give my opinions. Unless clearly stated, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.