Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Whether it's a 2-hour car drive or a 14-hour flight, we always take along snacks and activities to keep kids energized and occupied. Every parent knows it's the secret to a bicker-free, "Are We There Yet"-free trip! When they were kids we packed little toys or play-doh and board books, and now that they're bigger they like video games, books, and origami paper. Fortunately, none of my kids get carsick, so they can read anywhere. And when they're on international flights, they love it when airlines hand out activity kits, no matter how old they are!
Those airplane activity kits are a real lifesaver, but they seem to be harder and harder to find as airlines cut back on little perks, so it's really nice to hear that JetBlue flights are now offering fun Reading Activity Kits this summer. It's all part of their Soar With Reading partnership with PBS Kids, which encourages kids to keep reading all summer. I think any effort to get kids reading should be applauded, so Kudos to JetBlue and PBS KIDS for doing this!
Here's more information about the program:
As families pack bags for road trips and rides in the sky, JetBlue is encouraging kids to pack books for their cross country adventures or even for their trips to the backyard. This week JetBlue is launching “Soar with Reading” a reading program with partner PBS KIDS. The program aims to keep children reading wherever they go this summer – with a combination of in-flight and online literacy resources, community reading events and a partnership with First Book, a nonprofit organization that provides new books to children in need.
* At the center of the program is the newly launched SoarwithReading.com, where parents can download a free reading activity kit, create a summer reading list and log their children’s reading minutes, among other activities.
* For every reader who registers on SoarwithReading.com, JetBlue will make a book donation to a child through First Book, up to 10,000 books.
* This summer, Jet Blue is also sending crewmembers out to volunteer at kid-friendly events at local libraries all across the country. These global guides will read books to children, share stories about their job and their exciting travel adventures.
* Child passengers will also receive activity kits on JetBlue flights as well!
* Additionally, the campaign will support public libraries. At SoarwithReading.com families can vote for their favorite library in the Soar with Reading Sweepstakes. The winning library will receive $10,000 worth of children’s books courtesy of Jet Blue and Random House Children’s Books. And if you enter the winning library, you will have a chance to win a trip to Atlantis!
JetBlue sent us one of their activity kits, and it's definitely one of the better airline activity kits we've tried! It has a Magic Treehouse book, a Steve Songs CD, an activity book, and a little paper cutout of Hooper, the cute PBS guinea pig, all packed into a lightweight travel backpack. I'd say it's perfect for kids ages 4-9, although even younger kids can scribble on the activity book and listen to the cd.
Win a JetBlue Activity Kit
One lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will receive a JetBlue activity kit, featuring a JetBlue travel backpack, books and other fun JetBlue and PBS KIDS extras (see my description above)!
Leave a comment on this post and tell me your favorite childhood book. This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Tweet this (1 entry):
RT @bonggafinds: Sign up for JetBlue & PBS KIDS' http://SoarWithReading.com program & JetBlue will donate a book to a child via First Book.
2) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
3) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook page (1 entry):
I entered the JetBlue giveaway! http://ow.ly/5Jjan
4) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
5) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
6) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
Win a JetBlue travel activity pack @bonggafinds http://ow.ly/5Jjan #giveaways
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on August 7, 2011; I will draw a winner at random on August 8 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received a JetBlue activity kit as a thank-you for posting about the program and hosting the giveaway. Prize is provided by JetBlue. Program information is provided by JetBlue and is indicated in italics. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.