CrispRoot Cassava Chips


I love the salty crunch of potato chips, but let's face it, with all the oil used to deep-fry them, they're not an everyday snack. Fortunately, there are healthier alternatives to a regular potato chip that still help ease that potato chip craving.  Time Magazine listed five potato chip alternatives-- sweet potato chips, apple chips, taro chips, kale chips, plantain chips and soy chips.  They forgot one more:  cassava chips!   Cassava is eaten all over Africa, South American and Asia, so I've had my share of cassava.  I've never really cared for it.... but then again, I've never had it sliced, fried and salted like CrispRoot makes theirs.   CrispRoot sent me samples of their cassava chips to try, and I have to say, I'm gaining a whole new appreciation for Cassava.


More about CrispRoot
CrispRoot Chips are made out of the root from the Cassava shrub (Manihoc esculenta), a plant native to South America that is also cultivated throughout Asia and Africa. Cassava -- also known as tapioca, manioc, and yuca -- grows year round in arid conditions and requires little water for cultivation, making it the ideal drought-tolerant, resource-conserving crop. As the primary energy source for over 800 million people around the world, Cassava root provides an incredibly healthy food that offers a tasty alternative to fatty, unnatural snack foods.

With 30-40% less fat and double the fiber of regular potato chips, CrispRoot Chips are made with all-natural ingredients. Made in four absolutely savory flavors, CrispRoot’s Original, Sea Salt, BBQ, and Ginger versions have a scrumptious ridged texture just like leading potato chips, but without the trans-fat or cholesterol. And just as CrispRoot Chips are healthy for the body, the company has ensured that their production is also healthy for the planet.



CrispRoot comes in 4 flavors -- Original, Sea Salt, Thai Ginger and BBQ Bliss -- and they sent me samples of the first three.  I really like the texture of the chips; they are slightly thicker than regular potato chips, with a ridged surface, nice and crunchy but not greasy at all.  My family was equally divided between the Original and Sea Salt flavors (I'm a Sea Salt gal, all the way!). The Thai Ginger is not a kid-friendly flavor; none of my kids liked it, and they have fairly adventurous palates.  Cassava is generally sweeter than potato, so I wasn't surprised that these chips are sweeter than potato chips.  What surprised me is how much healthier these chips are than regular potato chips:  30% less fat and double the fiber.  CrispRoot chips are also gluten and dairy free, so they're a great choice for accommodating food allergies and intolerance at a playdate or classroom party.


Disclosure: I received a product sample to facilitate my review, but have not been paid to review the product or give my opinions. Product information (in italics) is provided by the featured company/product. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.

Pin It

0 Comments, Leave yours here:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Bongga Posts

Bongga Tweets

I'm Going!

Blog Archive

 

Bonggamom Finds Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada