I'm a big Dr. Seuss fan -- my mom read it to me when I was a toddler, and I read it to myself as a kid. I had the first 6 pages of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish memorized even before I had kids! I've passed that love on to my kids, and even now that they are 9, 9 and 11, they will occasionally pick up a copy of How The Grinch Stole Christmas or The Lorax for some nostalgic reading. Every year I go through our library to see which books to donate so we can make space for new books, but I just can't bear to part with our Dr. Seuss books. They'll probably stay in that library until my grandchildren come along.
I wish Mr. Geissel (Dr. Seuss' real name) was alive today to see just how many generations of families have learned to love reading through his books! Fortunately his legacy lives on, not just with the books he wrote, but with the new DVDs and books and apps that PBS Kids have created to keep Dr. Seuss' mission going. the Cat in the Hat Learning Library book series and The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That DVD series teaches kids cool science facts in a fun, Dr.Seuss-inspired setting, with everyone's favorite feline, the Cat in the Hat.
Their latest titles will take kids to Africa to explore and discover African wildlife, the jungle, predators vs. prey and more. Here's more information about both:
The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That: Safari, So Good DVD
- It's time for safari, so come and explore with the Cat and his friends on adventures galore. We will reach for the treetops and swing through the trees, When we walk like giraffes and swing like monkeys!
- SRP: $10.99
- Available at NCircleEntertainment.com or a retailer near you, including Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us!
The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library: Safari, So Good! All About African Wildlife book
- The Cat takes Sally and Nick to Africa--where they learn how animals are either predators or prey, that elephants tend to favor one tusk over the other, how to tell the difference between a white and black rhino (both of which are gray!), and much, much more!
- · SRP: $12.99
- · Available at seussville.com, Wal-Mart, and Barnes & Noble
Older Dr. Seuss fans will be able to tell that the book was not written by Dr. Seuss. Even though all the words rhyme, they don't flow like they do in a real Dr. Seuss book -- but then again, Dr. Seuss is a tough act to follow, and no one else has his genius for creating new words and rhyming existing ones. Also, the book was written with the very specific purpose of teaching young kids about African wildlife -- so at least it's good to know that the authors do try to stick to the spirit of the original Dr. Seuss books. With that in mind, the books are really quite good!
Most of the drawings don't quite replicate Dr. Seuss' wacky style, but they are definitely inspired by him, and Horton the Elephant would fit right into the herd of elephants in the page below:
The DVD is like the book come to life, and the young kids will definitely be engaged by the Cat in the Hat (voiced by Martin Short) as he asks viewers to help him find the missing stripes for his hat. You'll see all the creatures from the book, so the two go very nicely together.
Win a Dr. Seuss DVD!
One lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will receive a copy of the Dr. Seuss DVD, The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That: Safari, So Good!
Leave a comment on this post and tell me how you and your family celebrate diversity in the community.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Follow bonggamom on Blogger (1 entry)
2) Follow bonggamom on Instagram (1 entry)
3) Follow bonggamom on Pinterest (1 entry)
4) Pin this giveaway on your Pinterest board (1 entry -- you can use the "Pin It" button at the bottom of this page!).
5) Like NCircle Entertainment on Facebook (1 entry).
6) "Like Bonggamom Finds" on Facebook and write this on my wall (1 entry):
I entered the Dr. Seuss Birthday DVD giveaway!
7) Tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day until giveaway end date)
RT @bonggafinds Enter to win a Cat in the Hat: Safari So Good DVD! Giveaway ends March 2 at bonggafinds.com
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on March 2, 2013; I will draw a winner at random on March 3 and post their name after they confirm acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here.
..Disclosure: I received a review copy of the book and DVD courtesy of NCircle Entertainment, who also provided the giveaway prize. Product information (in italics) is provided by NCircle Entertainment. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.