Friday, May 13, 2011
Sixty-five years is a long time. Just think of how far we've come since 1946!
* Harry Truman was president of the United States.
* The UN General Assembly met for the first time.
* The Philippines gained independence from the United States.
* IBM introduced fast electronic calculator and AT&T announced the first car phones.
* The average yearly income was $2,500.
* The average new home cost $5,600, a new car cost $1,125 and a first-class stamp cost 3 cents.
* Bill Clinton, Cher, Diane Keaton, Dolly Parton, Donald Trump and George W. Bush were born.
* Tide, the first detergent designed for automatic clothes washing machines was introduced .
I'd be willing to bet that that first calculator must have cost quite a bit, and that first car phone wasn't much smaller than the car itself -- but it's nice to know that Tide, even after 65 years, is still a brand we know and trust.
Here's how Procter & Gamble is celebrating Tide's 65th year:
In a bygone era when women wore dresses and high heels to carry their families’ laundry in a wicker basket to their very first automatic washing machine, they turned to Tide for “the cleanest clothes possible.” More than a half-century later, families still turn to Tide, now offered in more than two dozen liquid and powder formulas. To celebrate its 65th Anniversary, Tide is issuing special-edition packages with the 1947 label. Procter & Gamble (P&G) invites consumers to enjoy a blast from the past with retro-packaged Tide, Bounce and Downy available at Target in May, while supplies last.
Check out some of the vintage packaging that they are introducing for a limited time in Target stores:
Washday soaps? Jane tried ‘em all, And every new detergent. But, none matched Tide – and so she cried, “Please send some Tide! It’s urgent!“
Detergents, soaps, she tried them all and wasn’t satisifed ... But now his shirts are dazzling clean! Smart girl ... she turned to Tide!
Win a Tide Vintage Prize Pack
Tide wants to celebrate their 65th year with you! Two lucky Bonggamom Finds readers will receive a Tide Vintage Prize Pack, featuring:
* A “Retro” Tide t-shirt featuring the Tide logo
* Samples of Tide and Downy
* A full size Bounce Dryer Bar
Leave a comment on this post and share something you love about the 1940's. This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
2) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
3) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
4) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook page (1 entry):
I entered the P&G Blast from the Past giveaway! http://tinyurl.com/bonggaprizes
5) Tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
2 Winners will receive a Tide Vintage tee plus Tide, Bounce Downy samples fr P&G and Target! Enter at @bonggafinds http://tinyurl.com/bonggaprizes #giveaways
6) Join any of the open giveaways on Bonggamom Finds (1 entry for every giveaway you've joined).
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on May 27, 2011; I will draw a winner at random on May 28 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received a prize pack similar to the one being given away. Thanks to P&G and Blue Chip Communications for sponsoring this giveaway. Product information is provided by P&G and is indicated in italics. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.