While doing research for my Worst Valentine's Day Gifts post on BlogHer, I came across some interesting V-Day statistics:
* Greeting cards top the list of ways people celebrate Valentine's Day (65% of US households), followed by a date night (44%), candy (38%) and flowers (32%).
* There are 120 single men (i.e., never married, widowed or divorced) in their 20's for every 100 single women of the same age.
* There are 33 single men (i.e., never married, widowed or divorced) age 65 or older for every 100 single women of the same age.
* 2.2 million marriages take place in the United States annually. That's over 6,000 a day!
Here are some more fun Valentine's facts sent to me by The Motherboard, a new digital network where women and moms can share great ideas, information, advice and inspiration:
* A Motherboard poll of moms shows that most, 66%, view Valentine’s Day as a fun excuse to eat chocolate, but don’t get upset if their partner comes home empty-handed. Other moms, 17%, absolutely love the holiday and still others, 17%, think it’s way too commercial.
* Topping mothers’ Valentine’s Day list is jewelry, trips, time alone with their husband, spa/beauty packages and gift cards – and of course, flowers and candy!
* Valentine’s Day is primarily romantic for 40%, but it’s also a fun family day, since 28% of moms think the holiday means doing something special for the kids.
* Chocolate is a welcome Valentine’s Day indulgence and moms have lots of strategies for finding the “good” pieces in the box: 24% take a small bite, but put it back if they don’t like it, 21% break the candies in half, 20% like not knowing, 9% poke a hole in the bottom of the chocolate, and the rest have other techniques like reading the liner or guessing based on shape
The Motherboard also shared with me some of the ways moms are making Valentine’s Day “sweet” this year:
* Bake Valentine-themed cookies or cupcakes together
* Decorate adorable and heartfelt cards for loved ones with the kids
* Prepare a dinner featuring each family member’s most “loved” dish
Of course, if you're at a loss, you can always drop by your local Walmart for inspiration. Walmart even has a special section on their website for Valentine's "treats" of all kinds - from candy and jewelry to digital cameras and unique personalized gifts. Check out Walmart's Valentine's section here.
So how are you celebrating Valentine's Day? Share your story with us, and you could win a $25 Walmart gift card!
Win a $25 Walmart Gift Card
To celebrate Valentine's Day, Walmart is offering a $25 dollar gift card to one lucky Bonggamom Finds reader
Leave a comment on this post and share how you plan to celebrate Valentine's Day (if you are entering this giveaway after Valentine's Day, share what you did on Valentine's Day). This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
2) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
3) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
4) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook page (1 entry):
I entered the Walmart gift card giveaway! http://ow.ly/3TvsT
5) Write on The Motherboard Facebook page --tell them Bonggamom sent you, and share how you plan to celebrate Valentine's Day (1 entry):
6) Follow The Motherboard (@TheMotherboard1) on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
Win a $25 Walmart gift card from @TheMotherboard1 and @bonggafinds http://ow.ly/3TvsT #giveaways
7) Join any of the open giveaways on Bonggamom Finds (1 entry per giveaway joined)
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on February 28, 2011; I will draw a winner at random on March 1 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I did not receive a sample or monetary compensation for this post. Thanks to The Motherboard, Walmart and Grand Communications for providing the giveaway prize. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.