I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting (#MC) for Sprint. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and to thank me for participating.
Alfie and I recently did one of those online quizzes that predict your life expectancy. I got 97. Not bad, right? Well, Alfie got 104. Are you kidding me??? Aren't women supposed to live longer than men? Why don't I get to live to 100?? Alfie laughs at me and tells me I'm taking this way too seriously and that stressing about it is actually shaving years off my life.... but my competitive instincts have kicked in. There's no way he's outliving me! So I'm reexamining my lifestyle choices and resolving to make little tweaks to give me the best chance at a long, healthy life: Eating less refined carbs. Letting go of stress. Getting more sleep. Working out more.
To help me stay motivated for workouts, Alfie has been nagging me to download a fitness app onto my phone, but for some reason I've resisted. But a couple of weeks ago I received a Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport smartphone as part of the Mom Central SprintMom Ambassador Program. This isn't your regular S5, it's a special Sport version -- and it's fantastic! Sprint actually teamed up with Under Armour and MayMyFitness to integrate special fitness solutions right into the S5 Sport:
- Samsung's exclusive Activity Zone app is preloaded on the S5 Sport.
- The S5 Sport features a textured body that makes it easier to hold when you're sweating, and hard keys (instead of touchscreen keys) that make it MUCH easier to operate the phone while you're working out.
- The S5 Sport comes gives you 12 months of free MapMyFitness MVP.
- The S5 Sport comes with S Health, a mobile health platform that helps you keep track of food intake and even monitor your heart rate!
Even without all the fitness features, the Samsung S5 Galaxy is a winner. Here are some of my favorite features:
- 5.7 x 2.9 x 0.4 inches, 5.6 ounces, 5.1 inch Full HD Super AMOLED® display
- 16GB internal memory, Android™ 4.4.2, KitKat, 2.5GHz quad-core processor
- Sprint Spark™ network enhances the phone's LTE service and allows for high quality videos.
- Dual Cameras; a 16-megapixel rear-facing Phase Detection Auto Focus camera with Zero Shutter Lag, flash and video capture, and 2-megapixel front-facing camera with full HD recording at 30fps
- Smart Remote feature allows you to use it as a remote control with your home theater equipment
And don't forget, Sprint Framily Plan users get six months free subscription to Spotify Premium!
I loved using the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport! I have no idea why it took me so long to start using MapMyFitness! I can record all my workouts and fitness activities. Even something as simple as walking to school counts, and I can see how active I've been all week -- distance, pace, speed, elevation, calories burned, route traveled. Keeping records and measurements has always been key to keeping me focused and motivated with my workouts, and the free 12-month premium subscription to MapMyFitness MVP couldn't be handier.
Did you notice that I said "I LOVED using the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport"? That's because The Pea fell in love with it and begged me and begged me to let her have it! She loves the large screen size and the amazing camera! How could I say "no" to that sweet face? Especially since the S5 Sport is helping her become more active!
Note: Phone cases for the Samsung Galaxy S5 will NOT work with the S5 sport -- the size is all wrong and the buttons are in different places. And since the S5 Sport is so new, there aren't too many phone cases available. The "made in China" phone covers I found on Amazon and eBay are ugly and bulky, so I highly recommend purchasing a case from your local Sprint store or from Sprint online. They have good cases from Body Glove and Tech 21. I bought the clear Tech 21 Impact Mesh Case because it had the sleekest profile (The Pea didn't want any bulky cases but I insisted she get a case to protect the phone from drops and falls) and a cool color combo (clear with orange highlights, which lets the electric blue color shine through!).
Check out some other great phones on the Sprint Network:
Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting (#MC) for Sprint. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and to thank me for participating. Product information (in italics) is provided by Mom Central. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.