Today, July 28, is National Milk Chocolate Day! Although dark chocolate is all the rage nowadays, milk chocolate is still the most popular kind of eating chocolate. And although everyone in my family now prefers dark chocolate, that doesn't stop us from eating and loving milk chocolate :) After all, we all started out eating milk chocolate, and milk chocolate is a classic comfort food that brings back lots of childhood memories.
To celebrate National Milk Chocolate Day, here are a few facts about milk chocolate:
* Milk chocolate contains chocolate liquor (the centers of cocoa beans ground to a liquid), extra cocoa butter (cocoa butter is the fat naturally present in cocoa beans), sugar, an emulsifier (often lecithin) and vanilla or other flavorings, plus dry milk solids. Milk chocolate has at least 10 percent cocoa liquor by weight, and at least 12 percent milk solids.
* Difference between milk chocolate and dark chocolate: dark chocolate does not contain milk solids.
* Difference between milk chocolate and white chocolate: white chocolate does not contain chocolate liquor.
* Milk chocolate has about twice the amount of sugar in dark chocolate.
* Milk chocolate was invented in 1875 by Daniel Peter, who combined cocoa with condensed milk (which had been invented by fellow Swiss, Henri Nestle).
Win an assortment of chocolate Balance BarsTo celebrate National Milk Chocolate Day, Balance Bars will send one lucky Bonggamom Finds reader a box of Chocolate Craze and Double Chocolate Brownie Balance Bars! National Milk Chocolate Day is the perfect time to enjoy the taste of milk chocolate, without all the fat and sugar! Balance Bars taste like chocolate but have more fiber and protein, so they're a healthier treat.
Leave a comment on this post and tell me which milk chocolate treat is your favorite.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Follow bonggamom on Blogger (1 entry)
2) Follow bonggamom on Instagram (1 entry)
3) Follow bonggamom on Pinterest (1 entry)
4) Pin this giveaway on any of your Pinterest boards (1 entry -- you can use the "Pin It" button at the bottom of this page!).
5) "Like Bonggamom Finds" on Facebook and write this on my wall (1 entry):
I entered the Balance Bar giveaway! ends 8/10 at http://ow.ly/yAM0M
7) Tweet this once per day (1 entry per day)
Celebrate National Milk Chocolate Day & enter to win a box of chocolate Balance Bars ! Giveaway on @bonggafinds ends 8/10 http://ow.ly/yAM0M
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on August 10, 2014; I will draw a winner at random, on August 11 and post their name after validating entry and confirming acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here.
Disclosure:I received a product sample to facilitate my review, but have not been paid to review the product or give my opinions. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.