Don't you wish babies came with instruction manuals? Despite all the advice you get from your friends, parenthood is definitely a learn-on-the-job kind of experience. But that doesn't mean you can't prepare yourself and heed the advice of people who have been in the trenches and done it before. Below are five pieces of advice for new parents that I had to learn the hard way. I wish someone had told me about these, so I'm sharing them in the hopes that a bleary-eyed new mom or dad will read it and take note. These tips will make your first year of parenthood go so much smoother!
1) Accept offers of help from friends or family. Babies are tiring, and you can't do everything. Even a little help goes a long way. We didn't have family living nearby, so we splurged on a weekly housekeeper, and it was the best money we ever spent. I got more rest. I was much happier, less cranky. I stopped snapping at Alfie and nagging at him to help.
2) Don't stress about giving your child a pacifier. It's not going to ruin their teeth. They will give it up eventually. You AND your baby will be much, much happier.
3) Use a sleep sack instead of a blanket. We discovered sleep sacks when the boys were 18 months and it was like a Godsend. They would constantly kick their blankets off while sleeping, and wake up cold and cranky, but with a sleepsack, you can zip your baby into it without worrying that they will kick it off, or fear that they will suffocate under the blanket.
4) Find a dependable diaper and change it often. Don't wait until it's sagging down to your child's knees! On one memorable occasion, we went on a road trip with Alfie's parents and forgot to change the twins' diapers for the whole 4-hour drive. When we got to our destination, we left Alfie's dad in charge of one baby and went to reserve a table at a restaurant. Alfie's dad joined us at the table -- with a smiling baby and a burst diaper! Oh the embarrassment (not to mention the mess)!
One diaper brand that parents everywhere rely on is Pampers. To cover your baby's bottom, you’ll want to pick up Swaddlers, Pampers softest diaper and the #1 choice among hospitals.
· With up to 12 hours of overnight protection, Swaddlers help you make your baby as comfortable as possible
· Swaddlers color-changing wetness indicator makes it easy for you to tell when your baby might be ready for a change
· Swaddlers give your baby comfort and protection they’ll love for even longer
· Swaddlers Super Economy Pack and Economy Plus Pack are now available (online only)
· Available up to size 5 at Babies “R”Us, their knowledgeable experts can help you choose the perfect fit for your little one.
5) Savor and celebrate those milestones. Babyhood, toddlerhood, and childhood pass by in the blink of an eye. Really. I can barely believe how quickly time has flown. So take those 1,000 photos and 20-minute videos of your baby rolling over, sitting up, smashing bananas into his mouth, taking his first steps. Even the little things are cause for a celebration. I wish I had more photos of my kids looking adorable in their diapers, or splashing around in the tub!
Join the #MilestoneMoments Twitter Party
Win a Pampers Swaddlers Babies”R”Us Prize PackOne lucky Bonggamom Reader will receive a special prize pack that includes:
· $150 Babies “R” Us gift card (You will receive a $250 gift card, the giveaway will contain a $150 gift card)
· Pampers Wipes (64 count)
Leave a comment on this post and share a milestone moment in your baby's life.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Follow bonggamom on Blogger (1 entry)
2) Follow bonggamom on Instagram (1 entry)
3) Follow bonggamom on Pinterest (1 entry)
4) Pin this giveaway on any of your Pinterest boards (1 entry, please make sure you include the #MilestoneMoments hashtag on your pin -- you can use the "Pin It" button at the bottom of this page!).
5) "Like Bonggamom Finds" on Facebook and write this on my wall (1 entry, please make sure you include the hashtag #MilestoneMoments):
I entered the #MilestoneMoments giveaway for a $150 Babies R Us gift card! Giveaway ends 7/12 at http://ow.ly/yiPZ3
6) Tweet this before 9PM EST June 26 (1 entry, please make sure you include the hashtag #MilestoneMoments)
Join the #MilestoneMoments Twitter party with @Pampers and @MomItForward on June 26, 9-10PM EST! http://ow.ly/yiPZ3
Enter to win a #MilestonesMoments gift pack fr @Pampers w/ $150 BabiesRUs GC ! Giveaway on @bonggafinds ends 7/12 http://ow.ly/yiPZ3
7) Join any open giveaway on Bonggamom Finds (1 entry for every giveaway you join)
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on July 12, 2014; I will draw a winner at random, on July 13 and post their name after they confirm acceptance. Continental US residents only. For additional giveaway rules, click here.
Disclosure: . Product information (in italics) is provided by Procter & Gamble. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.