The Pea has fair skin, so we're usually pretty vigilant about sun safety, but there are times when we have slipped up. I'll never forget the time I completely forgot to lather her up with sunscreen for a neighborhood parade, and she ended up with a nasty sunburn. Think it's no big deal? Studies have shown that suffering one or more blistering sunburns in childhood or adolescence more than doubles a person’s chances of developing potentially-deadly melanoma later in life. I know it's not easy to remember to apply sunscreen on your child day in and day out, but the benefits are so worth the effort. Here are three tips that can make it a bit easier to keep your child safe in the sun.
1) Invest in sun-protective clothing (clothing made of fabric with build-in SPF factor) that your child can wear every day.
2) Get into the habit of putting a hat on your children from an early age.
3) Keep sunscreen in your entry hallway, your purse, and your car.
Babyganics, the leading manufacturer of naturally safe and effective products for a “baby-safe world,” has introduced a new product to their sunscreen line: Mineral-Based Sunscreen lotion (50+SPF). I was given a sample to review and I think it's great! It doesn't smell like it's full of fragrance or nasty chemicals (and it isn't). Like all mineral-based sunscreens, it's pretty thick, so you need to rub it in well to get it to absorb into the skin (otherwise your baby ends up with lots of white patches!), but it's definitely not as stubborn as many mineral-based sunscreens out there. It feels more like a lotion that a paste, so you're more likely to apply it regularly. And it's good to know that Babyganics does not contain any PABA, Parabens, or Phthalates!
Here are some great features of Babyganics Mineral-based Sunscreen:
- Provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection (SPF 50+)
- Non-chemical, non-whitening formula absorbs easily to skin
- No PABA, Parabens, nano-particles, Phthalates or fragrances
- Pediatrician and dermatologist tested
- Non-allergenic, tear free
- Contains Babyganics’ exclusive NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend that nurtures and supports baby’s skin.
- Water resistant for up to 80 minutes
Babyganic’s Mineral-Based Sunscreen lotion (50+SPF) retails for $9.99 and is available for purchase at Babies ‘R’ Us, Buy Buy Baby, Target, and online at Diapers.com.
Disclosure: I received a product sample to facilitate my review, but have not been paid to review the product or give my opinions. Product information (in italics) is provided by the featured company/product. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.