3Po and Jammy are in first grade now, but I well remember the anxiety they felt last year when they began kindergarten. Fortunately, they quickly got used to the routine, and I think the pre-kinder skills they learned-- knowing how to write their name, knowing how to use scissors, being accustomed to a routine, understanding how to perform simple experiments, etc -- played a big part. The Jim Henson Company has lots of fun activity ideas on their Dinosaur Train website that can help children to learn some basic preschool level science concepts. They're fascinating and fun and a great way to build up your child's confidence before he enters kindergarten. Here are a few examples:
* Help your child practice the letters of the alphabet while learning about the diversity of dinosaurs that once lived on Earth with the “Dinosaurs A – Z song.” Basic supplies needed include 26 index cards (4x6 or 5x7), a thick marker, crayons, lyrics to "Dinosaurs A to Z" song
* Help your child learn some basic insect anatomy by creating a model of a dragonfly, and learn that some animals seen in the world today also lived at the time of the dinosaurs. Basic supplies needed include construction paper, wooden popsicle sticks, strong tape, pipe cleaners, colored markers, glue and glitter (and photographs of real dragonflies from books or the Internet). For instructions go to: http://www.pbs.org/parents/dinosaurtrain/activities/handson/dragonfly.html
* Help your child understand and apply the term "hypothesis," investigate and make predictions about the science of color, using household basics including food coloring, clean food jars/containers, colored markers and a cookie sheet. For instructions go to: http://www.pbs.org/parents/dinosaurtrain/activities/handson/colorfulhypothesis.html
Win a Dinosaur Train Kindergarten Prize Pack
August is "Get Ready for Kindergarten" month, and to celebrate, one lucky Bonggamom Finds reader will win a "Get Ready for Kindergarten" prize pack featuring some great Dinosaur Train products (worth over $50!):
* Dinosaur Train 16" backpack featuring Buddy the T-rex, from Accessories 22.
* Dinosaur Train: I Am a T-Rex book from Grossett & Dunlap.
* Triceratops for Lunch book from Golden Books.
* Dinosaur Train Take N' Play Anywhere™ Go Fishing™ magnetic activity from Patch Products.
* Dinosaur Train Dinosaur Collectible 3-Pack dinosaur figures from Learning Curve.
* Dinosaur Train's All Aboard game from Pressman Toy Corp.
Leave a comment on this post and share your own tip for helping your child get ready for kindergarten. This entry must be completed before extra entries qualify.
For extra entries, you can do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment for each extra entry with a way to verify the entry (i.e. tweet link, blog post link, Facebook id, Twitter id, etc.).
1) Grab my blog button and post it up on your blog (1 entry).
2) Subscribe to Bonggamom Finds updates (1 entry).
3) Write this on the Bonggamom Finds Facebook page (1 entry):
I entered the Dinosaur Train Get Ready for Kindergarten giveaway!
4) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Networked Blogs (1 entry).
5) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Blogger(1 entry).
6) Follow Bonggamom Finds on Twitter and tweet this, up to once per day (1 entry per day, leave a comment with the tweet link for each tweet):
Win a Dinosaur Train Kindergarten prize pack worth over $50 from @bonggafinds
This giveaway ends at 11:59PM PST on September 15, 2010; I will draw a winner at random on September 16 and post the winner's name after the winner confirms acceptance. US addresses only. For additional giveaway rules, click here. Good luck!
Disclosure: I did not receive a sample or monetary compensation for this post. Product information is provided by the featured company/product and is clearly indicated as such. The views and opinions expressed here are my own.